We are launching a New and Exciting Project
Gorbals Community Grocery
Thousands of families are facing not knowing where the next meal is
coming from, so the Gorbals Community Grocery is here to help.
Step inside a grocery and you’ll find a range of food options fresh from local supermarkets, meaning our members can come and shop for their whole family at the fraction of the cost of a supermarket. Whilst also saving hundreds of tonnes of food being wasted each year.
But it’s not just about the food. In each store, you’ll also find a range of free support on offer to members. Support like job clubs, money management support, healthy cooking classes, exploring Christianity courses and much more.
Run in partnership with the Message Trust and Destiny Church.
Unfortunately, due to the building work required to be done to facilitate this exciting project, we need to transfer the foodbank to our Southside Location.
Food Parcels will be available on Tuesday and Thursday between 12 noon and 2pm from the Southside Location. This will commence on Tuesday 5th October 2021 and operate until further notice.
If you are unable to get into our Southside location, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on the Hopeline Number 0333 9000 909. We will signpost you to a foodbank within your area.
Do you want to speak to someone? Our Hopeline is here for you, just call 0333 9000 909. Know that no matter the need, there is someone for you to talk to.
What can you do to help?
Would you like to help?
Sign up to become a volunteer and join the team! Volunteer roles needed:
- Grocery Shop Assistant – we are going to need people who can welcome, help stock shelves, serve customers, etc.
- Charity Shop Assistant – we have a charity shop (which helps to resource several social action initiatives) out in Linwood, we need volunteers to help around the shop.
- Community Café Assistant – we have community cafes that require people to prepare and serve the customers.
- Drivers – we need drivers for both the Charity Store Van and the Grocery Store Van
- Administrators – to help behind the scenes with all the necessary paperwork
- Warehouse Assistants – to help to unpack deliveries, stock rotate and provide products for the shop assistants to stock the shop shelves.
- Cleaners – need people to help keep the Charity Superstore, Grocery Store and the Community Café clean
Donations are being accepted 9-5pm at our Southside Location, 1120 Pollokshaws Road, G41 3QP. We are in particular need of the following:
- Tinned tomatoes/Pasta sauce
- Lentils, beans and pulses
- Tinned meat
- Tinned vegetables
- Tinned fruit
- UHT milk
- Fruit juice
- Cooking Oil
We are also including toiletries along with the food bags:
- Toilet rolls
- Shower Gel
- Sanitary products
Pay It Forward
Are you not able to volunteer or drop off food but would still like to contribute? We’d invite you to ‘pay it forward’ using the donation button below. We have set a suggested amount of £10 but you are welcome to contribute more. The cost of food bags vary between individual and family bags but are prepared to last the recipients for 3 days.
Here to help in our community
Thanks to the many generous donations from the church and the community, since lockdown we have been able to:
Our kitchens provided over 60,000 hot meals either directly or through agencies we could support.
The foodbank provided over 50,000 meals to anyone in need.
We provided 35 iPad’s for critically ill patients at Wishaw General Hospital who were unable to see family due to covid restrictions.
In conjunction with Samaritan’s Purse, we were able to deliver 10,000 Christmas shoeboxes filled with toys and gifts for children as we made our Southside building available as a distribution centre.
Could you help?
Phone: 0141 616 6777