Pastor Andrew Owen
Dear eNews friends and church members,
PRAYER & FASTING
Fasting is one of those things.
I’ve heard it said recently that people are fasting from TV/movies/gaming/social media/etc.
Whilst it may be good to do with out any of these things for extra time to pray or focus, fasting always has to do with food! Some argue it can also mean married couples abstaining from intimacy in that Paul touches on that theme in 1 Corinthians 7:5, but even there fasting isn’t mentioned and the subject matter is all together different.
Fasting is about abstaining from food and/or food plus water.
We can go 40 days without food and not cause serious permanent damage to our bodies, but the max is 3 days without water, unless supernaturally sustained.
Whilst trying to keep this message short, let me just point out the following:
- Sin entered into this world through food temptation (Genesis 3:2)
- Jesus’ first temptation was over food (Luke 4:1)
- Almost every time the Bible speaks about drunkenness it couples it with gluttony (that is overindulgence or overconsumption of food often leading to obesity and health problems. Proverbs 23:21)
- Food is often associated with idolatry (Phil 3:19). We know we have a national pandemic of anorexia/bulimia as well as a nation who are obese. Bottom line is, the issue of food consumes our minds and hearts.
- Remember the Israelites complained against God in the wilderness over food?
- Excess food was a contributing factor to the destruction of Sodom (Ezekiel 16:49)
- Gluttony leads to laziness and lack of ability & focus (Titus 1:12)
We learn that big things happen when we fast.
- Breakthrough when there were demonically locked-up areas (Matthew 17:21)
- New measure of the prophetic and divine instruction (Acts 13:2)
- A release of the supernatural protection of God (Ezra 8:21-23)
- Souls being saved (Jonah 3:5-9)
So it’s good to fast, both personally and corporately.
It’s always intended that fasting is accompanied by prayer, so join us tonight for a significant Holy Spirit night.
Meanwhile today keep calling on God for every limitation to be broken, including souls saved, the sick healed, the finances flowing, every door to be opened and every demonic door closed.
Sign up here to get eNews sent straight to your inbox.